There are no products in your cart.
  • (800) 495-6612‬
  • Login
  • 0
    There are no products in your cart.

author RocketCert Staff
date 07.29.2022

Professionals who hold a California refrigeration C-38 license are able to fabricate, construct, maintain, erect, repair, and service a variety of refrigeration systems. This includes those in refrigerators and refrigerated rooms, as well as insulated refrigerated spaces.

It also means they can perform temperature insulation services, maintain ducts and blowers, and work on registers, air conditioning units, thermostatic controls, and humidity controls. This applies to the control of liquid, gas, or air temperatures below ten degrees Celsius or 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

There are various regulations, requirements, and pre-certifications that you will need to fulfill before you are granted a California refrigeration license. 

You will need to provide proof that you have at least four years of experience in refrigeration work. These four years must have been within the last ten years. In addition, it must be at a level that is no less than a journeyman level. Alternatively, it can also be at a foreman level supervising an employee, owner-builder, or contractor.

You’ll also have to pass the specific written trade examination as well as the written Law and Business Examination.

Make sure you meet the specified insurance and bond requirements for licensure with the California Contractors State License Board (CSLB).

It’s important that you properly prepare for your examinations. Failure to pass will cause delays in your ability to obtain your license.

Bond and Insurance Requirements

There are various requirements for bonds and insurance that you will need to meet, so make sure you are clear on what those requirements are.

Workers’ Compensation Insurance

This type of insurance is only required if you have employees. Note that the certificate of insurance must be issued in the business name that will be shown on your application.

Contractor’s Bonds

All LLC licenses need to have an additional employee/worker bond for an additional $100,000 on file with CSLB. This is for the benefit of professionals who are contracted to work for or are employed by LLCs.

However, all contractors must have a contractor’s bond for $15,000 on file with the CSLB. In addition, an additional $12,500 individual bond needs to be filed for all contractors who have been qualified by an RME.

LLC Liability Insurance

This insurance is required for all LLC licenses. They must have liability insurance between $1 million and $5 million. The specific amount will be determined by the number of employees on record on that license. 

If there are five or fewer employees, the amount is no less than $1 million. For each additional employee, the amount increases by $100,000 until it reaches the maximum of $5 million.

Other Requirements for Obtaining Your C-38 License in California

Once you meet all of the qualifications, you’ll need to contact the California Contractors State License Board. It’s important to note that you must obtain pre-approval to take the exams, so all other requirements must be met in order to be granted this pre-approval.

When you’re ready to pursue your C-38 license in California, make sure you choose a qualified and approved online provider for your exam study materials. RocketCert has a “no pass, no pay” policy, so sign up and get started today.