There are no products in your cart.
  • (800) 495-6612‬
  • Login
  • 0
    There are no products in your cart.

author RocketCert Staff
date 08.01.2022

Do you have at least four years of experience in electrical work? If you meet certain criteria, you may be able to qualify to obtain a California electrical C-10 license. With this license, you can perform a variety of tasks, including placing, erecting, installing, and connecting any electrical fixtures, appliances, wires, conduits, raceways, solar photovoltaic cells, and more.

You will be able to service any part of those components that transmit, generate, transform, or use electricity for any purpose or in any form. However, having four years of experience isn’t the only requirement for obtaining this type of license. You will also need to meet bond and insurance requirements as well as pass professional exams. 

Requirements for the California C-10 Electrical License

In order to obtain licensure with the California Contractors State Licensing Board, you’ll have to make sure you know what’s required of you.


As you know, you must have at least four years of experience in electrical work. However, it’s important to note that not just any experience will do. The experience must have been within the last ten years, and it also must be at no less than a journeyman level. Experience that is obtained while as a foreman supervising owner-builders, employees, or contractors also is acceptable.

LLC Liability Insurance

You will be required to show proof of liability insurance between $1 million and $5 million, depending on how many personnel are on the license. If there are five or fewer, the insurance will not be less than $1 million. However, for each additional member or employee, $100,000 will be added up to the maximum of $5 million.

Insurance Coverage for Workers’ Compensation

This requirement only applies if you will have employees working in your company. It’s important to remember that the Certificate of Insurance you receive has to be issued in the exact same business name that is shown on the application you submit.

Contractor’s Bond

Regardless of your LLC status or employee status, you are required to have a $15,000 bond on file with the state. In addition, $12,500 qualifying individual bonds must be filed for all of your contractors who are qualified by an RME.

Furthermore, any and all LLC licenses need an additional $100,000 bond on file for the benefit of all employees and contractors of an LLC.

Your State Electrician Examinations

You must pass the written specific trade examination as well as the Law and Business Examination before you receive your license in California. The electrical contractor exam covers topics like:

  • Safety
  • Finish wiring and trim
  • Planning and estimating
  • Rough wiring
  • Startup
  • Troubleshooting
  • Maintenance

You will have three and a half hours to finish the exam. The Business Law Exam includes topics like public works, business finances and organization, bonds, insurance, liens, and more.

Ready to move forward with your C-10 electrical license in California? Make sure you are properly prepared for both of your exams by signing up with RocketCert. All of our materials are written by professionals. Get the RocketCert advantage and sign up now for lifetime access to study materials!