There are no products in your cart.
  • (800) 495-6612‬
  • Login
  • 0
    There are no products in your cart.

author RocketCert Staff
date 08.23.2021

Electrical permits, inspections, and licenses may seem like a hassle when you want to undertake a home project. However, these requirements are intended to keep you and your family safe and secure.

Shoddy and unsafe electrical work can cause house fires. In fact, there are around 38,000 reported home fires annually. 

These incidents result in approximately 1,200 injuries and millions of dollars in property damage.

There is a wide range of home projects that do not require an electrical license in Washington state. However, most residential electrical jobs will require permits and inspections.

Failing to adhere to state regulations regarding electrical work can result in fines of up to $2,000. Each day without a proper inspection constitutes a unique violation of the law. So proper permitting and inspections are vital. 

If you are interested in more extensive electrical projects, consider works towards applying for a Washington state electrician’s license. The resources provided by RocketCert give you all the tools you need to pass an electrical licensing exam. 

In the following article, we will examine five home projects that do not require electrical certification in the state of Washington.

  1. Cord-and-Plug Appliances

Working on certain home appliances does not require an electrical license. Provided the appliance in question has a cord-and-plug connection, anyone can work on it. 

The term “cord-and-plug” refers to those appliances with an electrical cord and a molded plug. This cable may be either factory or field installed.

This type of appliance can be plugged into existing power outlets. Even uncertified individuals can repair, replace, or install cord-and-plug devices. 

However, you are not permitted to utilize a plug-to-receptacle adaptor when replacing this type of appliance.

  1. Travel Trailers

Working on the electrical system of a travel trailer does not require electrical certification in Washington. However, it is imperative to understand the potential hazards of working on these systems.

If you want to work on a travel trailer, it will require certain permits and inspections. It is best to secure the necessary knowledge before beginning a project of this type.

  1. Circuit Board Labeling

This electrical project is beneficial, and you can complete it with no formal training. Labeling the circuit board in your home will make things easier for you in the case of a tripped breaker. 

It will also expedite any work that a certified electrician needs to do on your home. To correctly label your circuit board, do the following:

  • Take a photo of the current labels for reference
  • Buy replacement labels
  • Test each switch to ensure that the labels are correct
  • Apply new labels to track the function of each switch

It is best to apply generic labels to each circuit switch, which will make the board easier to work with if the house ever changes hands.

  1. Like-in-Kind Lighting Replacements

You do not need an electrical license to complete certain like-in-kind lighting replacements in your residence. These include:

  • Lamps
  • Residential luminaries for single-family structures
  • Contactors
  • Branch circuit breakers
  • Timers
  • Starters
  • Relays
  • Circuit boards
  • Other control components

As mentioned above, most domestic electrical projects require permits and inspections so as to ensure the safety of those at the residence and to protect against the threat of fires.

  1. Like-in-Kind Replacement of Power Sources

Those with no electrical license can enact a like-in-kind replacement of:

  • One set of fuses
  • A battery smaller than 150 amp an hour
  • A single hardwired household appliance
  • One motor with no more than ten horsepower

Without a solid understanding of the electrical principles involved, you should never engage in a home project. Substandard electrical work can present hazards to you and your home.

For those considering a Journeyman, Master, or Electrical Administrator License in Washington, RocketCert can help. We offer online training tools to help you prepare for licensing exams in Washington state.

RocketCert also provides continuing education opportunities for those wanting to renew their licenses. Contact RocketCert for industry-leading education and exam prep in Washington.