There are no products in your cart.
  • (800) 495-6612‬
  • Login
  • 0
    There are no products in your cart.

author Vance Rubio
date 03.18.2024

As a contractor, you’re the lynchpin that holds a construction project together. Whether you want to focus on residential properties or you prefer the wider scope of general contracting, your job is to oversee projects and jump in wherever you’re needed.

This important work benefits families and businesses in your community, providing them with functional, safe, and attractive structures in which to live their lives. You also benefit from joining a profession that’s in high demand; you get the opportunity to be the boss and run a successful company of your own.

In Utah, as in most states, you’ll first have to obtain a suitable license from the Utah Department of Commerce Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL). General contractors will need a B100 License while residential/small commercial contractors need an R100 License. 

What’s the difference between these two licenses, and what are the requirements to obtain them and get your career underway?

General Contractor

A general contractor can do it all, managing and overseeing construction projects for residential and commercial structures or enclosures intended to support and shelter people, animals, or personal or moveable property. 

General contractors can also perform a wide range of construction tasks, although some — like plumbing, electrical, and mechanical work — require additional licenses.

Residential/Small Commercial Contractor

Residential/small commercial contractors are similar to general contractors in terms of the type of work they perform, but the scope of that work is limited to the construction of residential properties (single-family and multi-family, up to four units). They can also work on commercial properties of no more than 20,000 square feet with three or fewer stories above ground.

Licensing Requirements

The requirements to obtain a B100 General Contractor License and an R100 Residential/Small Commercial Contractor License in Utah are the same. You’ll first have to meet the experience requirement. You must meet one of the following criteria:

  • 2 years (4,000 hours) paid work experience in the construction industry
  • Qualifier on current or previous Utah Contractor License for at least 2 years
  • Construction Management degree (2 or 4 years)
  • Licensed Utah Professional Engineer
  • Passed NASCLA Exam for Commercial General Building Contractors

You’ll also have to pass the Utah Business & Law Exam, which features 60 questions covering topics like:

  • Business organizations
  • Licensing
  • Estimating and bidding
  • Contract management
  • Project management
  • Labor laws
  • Lien laws
  • Financial management
  • Risk management
  • Tax laws
  • Safety

This open-book test is timed at 120 minutes, and you must answer a minimum of 42 questions correctly to pass. 

If you are a professional with a current active license in good standing from another U.S. state, district, or territory (with a similar scope of practice to Utah) and you have at least one year of licensed experience, you may not be required to take this exam.

Exam Prep Designed for Working Professionals

The right exam prep program can help to ensure that you pass your test on the first try, and it should be designed for working professionals with a convenient, self-paced, online format that works with your busy schedule.

If you’re interested in obtaining a General Contractor or Residential/Small Commercial Contractor License in Utah, contact RocketCert today to get started.