Our office will be closing at 3:00pm ET today for Memorial Day. We will return all calls and emails as soon as possible. Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

There are no products in your cart.
  • (800) 495-6612‬
  • Login
  • 0
    There are no products in your cart.

author RocketCert Staff
date 02.27.2024

If you’re interested in a career in drywall and acoustical systems applications, you’ll be glad to know that this type of work is an integral part of any construction project, along with many types of structure repairs. You’ll enjoy job stability, a good income, and opportunities to advance in your career, including owning your own business.

However, the state of Arizona does require that you obtain a license from the Arizona Registrar of Contractors if you want to operate legally. This means you must meet the criteria to qualify for licensure. What licenses are available to drywall and acoustical contractors, and what are the requirements to obtain them?

Types of Licenses

Arizona offers three different licenses related to drywall and acoustical systems professionals: R-10, C-10, and CR-10 licenses. As an R-10 residential drywall and acoustical systems contractor, you are permitted to install and repair drywall and acoustical systems for residential clients.

The C-10 commercial drywall and acoustical systems contractor license pertains to commercial structures, while the CR-10 dual drywall and acoustical systems contractor license allows for operations in both residential and commercial sectors.

For all three of these license types, you may work with materials like gypsum wallboard, related ceiling grid systems, moveable partitions, and wallboard tape and texturing. Also included are steel wall partitions classified as lightweight and non-load bearing.

Requirements for Licensure

Before you can obtain a license, you must meet several state requirements. You can either offer proof that you’ve completed two years of hands-on work or related management experience or you can simply pass the Drywall and Acoustical Systems exam. Unlike some other trades, you don’t need both things for licensure.

However, you must prove that you are properly bonded for the scope of work you intend to do, in terms of gross volume of work. There are several levels of acceptable bonds, ranging from under $150,000 to over $10 million.

As far as testing goes, you must complete the online Arizona Statutes and Rules Training Course and Exam (SRE), complete with training followed by testing that covers what you learned. The state also requires you to pass the appropriate trade exam for your specific license.

Each of the Drywall and Acoustical Systems exams is made up of 30 questions covering topics like:

  • Ceilings, acoustical systems materials, and installation
  • Drywall materials and installation
  • Taping and finishing
  • Special applications including veneer plaster
  • OSHA safety

You will have 75 minutes to complete this open-book exam, and you must answer at least 70% of the questions correctly to pass.

How Can Exam Prep Help You Get Your License?

The right exam prep program for working professionals will include self-paced learning with 24/7 online access to coursework. You should also look for courses designed by industry experts and educators to ensure the best chance of success on your exam and in your profession.

If you’re ready to obtain your R-10, C-10, or CR-10 drywall and acoustical systems license in Arizona, contact RocketCert today to sign up for the right exam prep program.