There are no products in your cart.
  • (800) 495-6612‬
  • Login
  • 0
    There are no products in your cart.

author RocketCert Staff
date 11.20.2023

If you’re interested in working as a contractor and you enjoy carpentry, becoming a carpentry, maintenance, and minor repairs specialist could be an ideal career choice. In Nevada, contractors must have a license from the Nevada State Contractors Board before they can legally conduct business.

Skilled trades offer incredible potential for job security and respectable wages, thanks to high demand. How can you obtain your license and take the next step in your career?

The Work of a Carpentry, Maintenance, and Minor Repairs Contractor

This specialty contractor field allows for specific construction activities, starting with carpentry and repairs. This could include framing or rough carpentry needed to construct buildings or other structures, as well as the installation or repair of individual elements of framing systems. It might also include installing or repairing certain parts of structures, such as:

  • Siding
  • Subflooring
  • Roof decking
  • Exterior staircases and railings
  • Wood products for finishing purposes (doors, windows, cabinets, fixtures, etc.)
  • Truss members and sheathing

In addition, this license covers installation and repair activities related to finish carpentry, insulation and weather stripping, overhead doors, and drywall.

How to Obtain Your C-3 License

Before obtaining a C-3 Carpentry, Maintenance, and Minor Repairs License, you’ll have to meet set criteria, starting with experience requirements. 

Contractors in Nevada typically have to complete at least four years of experience within the 10 years prior to applying for licensure, and this experience may be completed as a journeyperson, foreperson, supervising employee, or contractor. 

You could also substitute approved education/training for a portion of this requirement, but education is not required.

To obtain a C-3 license, you’ll be asked to provide a current financial statement, proof of insurance, and a license bond. You’ll also have to designate a qualifying party. Further, you must pass two state exams: the Contractor Management Survey Exam and the C-3 Carpentry, Maintenance, and Minor Repairs Exam.

The first exam is intended to test your knowledge of business and labor laws, and it covers topics like:

  • Licensing
  • Estimating and Bidding
  • Liens Laws
  • Financial Management
  • Tax and Labor Laws
  • Project Management
  • Contracts
  • Risk Management

This open-book exam includes 60 questions, and you must answer a minimum of 75% correctly to pass. You will have 120 minutes to complete the exam.

The C-3 trade exam is an open-book test consisting of 56 questions on the following topics:

  • Safety
  • Insulation
  • Windows and Doors
  • Rough Carpentry
  • Finish Carpentry
  • Drywall
  • Siding

You’ll have two hours to complete this test, and you must answer a minimum of 40 questions correctly to receive a passing score.

Preparing to Pass Your Exams

No one wants to fail state exams when doing so will cost them their license and possibly the ability to work. To ensure that you pass the first time, you’ll want to find a state-approved exam prep program that offers the convenience of self-paced learning with 24/7 online access, ideal for working professionals.

RocketCert has the resources you need to obtain your C-3 Carpentry, Maintenance, and Minor Repairs License in Nevada. Contact us now to get started.