Our office will be closing at 3:00pm ET today for Memorial Day. We will return all calls and emails as soon as possible. Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

There are no products in your cart.
  • (800) 495-6612‬
  • Login
  • 0
    There are no products in your cart.

author RocketCert Staff
date 09.06.2022

Obtaining your mechanical contracting license in Oklahoma doesn’t have to be an overwhelming experience. But we know that if this is your first time becoming certified, you may not know where to start. That’s why we have created this helpful resource to get you on the right path. Keep reading to learn how to get certified!

First, Decide Which License Type You Need

There are three types of mechanical contracting licenses in Oklahoma. Before you can dive into how to get your license, you need to know which type of license works best for you:

HVAC/R Unlimited Contractor

As an HVAC/R unlimited contractor, you will be able to perform work on any cooling or heating products/equipment/systems. That includes refrigeration, HVAC, natural gas piping, and more.

HVAC/R Limited Contractor

With this license, you can work with the same types of equipment mentioned above so long as the system has a cooling capacity of 25 tons or less. For heating, the system must produce 500,000 Btu/h per appliance or less. 

Refrigeration Contractor

With this license, you can perform installations, alterations, modifications, or services to refrigeration products and systems, including the process piping. 

Second, Make Sure You Have the Required Experience

With any of these license types, you will need to meet at least one of the following requirements:

  • Four years of verifiable experience in the related field or
  • Two years of verifiable and related experience plus completion of a state-approved educational program

There are also a number of legal requirements you must be willing and able to meet. These include:

  • Passing the trade and business and law exam
  • Obtaining workers’ compensation insurance
  • Obtaining $50,000 general liability insurance
  • Obtaining a $5,000 surety bond

Once you have met these prerequisites, you’ll be ready to move on to the next step.

Third, Invest in Related Preparatory Materials

Your examinations will be open-book, so you want to invest in quality materials that will see you through. At RocketCert, we have three separate course bundles that are designed for soon-to-be HVAC/R contractors like yourself. Each of our programs is expertly crafted and narrated to give you the tools needed to succeed.

Fourth, Take Your Exams

No matter which license type you are applying for, a related examination is required before you can obtain your license. And for each exam, you are required to score at least a 70% if you hope to become a licensed contractor. Once you have submitted your application, the state board will contact you with a date and time for the examination. 

Remember, the exam will be open-book. Although you cannot access our online courses in the exam room, you can bring in printed materials with highlights and notations. 

Give RocketCert a Call if You Have Questions

We hope this resource article has provided you with all of the information you need to obtain your license. If you have any questions remaining about HVAC/R licenses in Oklahoma, please give us a call! We would love to discuss our courses and how they will help you prepare for your exams.